John Middleton acquires its tobacco from tobacco merchants who procure leaf from growers overseas. As a condition of our business relationship, we require that suppliers promote and maintain good agricultural practices with their contract growers such as:
- employment practices and worker safety;
- resource and environmental management; and
- Green Tobacco Sickness prevention, where applicable.
The focus areas of the international Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) program include:
- reducing negative environmental impact;
- supporting good labor management practices, including on-farm safety; and
- promoting operational efficiencies.
The implementation of each tobacco merchant’s GAP program reflects the different conditions and markets in various countries.